There are tons of alternative “meat” brands out there and I’ve tried only a small share. It’s not that eating these are any better or worse than the real thing, it just allows for something a little different. Field Roast products that I’ve tried have always been SUPER flavorful which I love, because it adds a whole new level to whatever I’m eating it with.
And out came this INCREDIBLE and flavorful veggie stew. The field roast sausage is made with wheat gluten and TONS of spices, it breaks down beautifully in the sauce and provides so much flavor to the veggies that you don’t need to add anything extra but a little salt.
This is NOT an ad, nor sponsored by Field Roast. I just really love how it flavors this stew/sauce!
I also tried this with chicken sausage and it was delicious too but it definitely needed extra seasoning so keep that in mind if you are using a sausage other than this specific one.
Let’s get cooking!
Veggie Sausage Stew
Vegan sausage, eggplant, bell pepper and zucchini cooked slowly into a delicious, flavorful sauce. Perfect over pasta, rice, couscous or with potatoes!
- 1 package (12.95oz) Field Roast Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided in half
- 1 cup water
- 1 large eggplant
- 8 oz package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (for eggplant)
- Step 1 Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lay on baking sheet and season eggplant slices with 1/2 tsp. Let sit about 15-20 minutes as you prep remaining ingredients.
- Step 2 Chop zucchini and bell pepper into small pieces. Wipe all salt off eggplant and chop into smaller chunks.
- Step 3 Remove sausage from casing and chop into small pieces. On medium high heat, heat up 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Brown sausage for 5-10 minutes, until golden brown. Add mushrooms and remaining olive oil.
- Step 4 Mix in remaining veggies, add water, cover and lower heat to low. Stir every few minutes and allow stew to simmer about 30-45 minutes until all veggies have broken down into sauce. Season with salt& pepper to taste.
- Step 5 Additional Notes: If substituting Field Roast sausage with non-vegetarian sausage, may need to add additional seasonings to taste.
There you have it! Perfect with some parmesan cheese on top and fresh parsley. You could also keep it vegan without adding any cheese, or maybe top it with some toasted pine nuts for a little nutty crunch.
I served this with pasta, but it would be delicious with any starch of your choice or a veggie side, like cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles!
However you do it, make it how you love it!
Hope you enjoy!
Lots of LOVE,