“umm…Eva, that definitely looks like a chicken tender”
and you’re right about that…but hidden under that deliciously golden, crispy panko is sweet mashed potatoes, seasoned with a little salt and garlic powder plus black beans.You also may wondering what on Earth made me come up with this little nugget of joy? Well, The Recipe Redux has challenged us to come up with a recipe that reminds us of an unforgettable meal we enjoyed from our travels!
In Barcelona, you can’t walk too far without seeing tapas, little snacks or appetizers, that are sold on the street and at different restaurants.
In Spain, croquettes are often found with the tapas. Traditionally, they are made using a bechamel sauce (a white cream sauce that is the base for many of your favorite creamy dishes) and mixed with ham, breaded and fried.
In the U.S., you’re more likely to see croquettes made with potatoes. Since I had some sweet potatoes laying around, I decided to try that out first!
They came out perfect! Sweet on the inside, crispy and savory on the outside. Plus a little added bite with the black beans.
Since the texture is soft on the inside, these pair perfectly with a crunchy cabbage salad, topped with salty crumbled cheese and tossed in a creamy chipotle vinaigrette!
Let’s get cooking!
served over cabbage salad, tossed in creamy chipotle vinaigrette
Servings: 6 (Makes about 12 total croquettes)
Serving Size: 2 croquettesIngredients
2 medium size sweet potato, peeled
3/4 tsp coarse kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup canned black beans (low sodium, drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup milk (2% or less)
1 tbsp cream cheese
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp grated parmesan
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 egg + 1 egg white, whisked
1/2 cup flour
1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 tbsp crumbled feta
Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Creamy Chipotle Vinaigrette
1/2 tbsp mayonaise (I use Vegenaise, you can use what you have!)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp chipotle in adobo sauce (canned)
1/2 tbsp olive oil
Salt&Pepper, to taste
1. Chop sweet potatoes into equal sizes and place into salted, boiling water (about 4-5 cups) and cook about 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes have softened. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Once cool, mash the potatoes, and add milk, cream cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and black beans. Shape into patties and place into fridge to set, about an hour.
3. While patties set in fridge, in a saute pan, heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Combine the panko, parmesan cheese and chili powder. Toast in pan, stirring frequently, until most of the panko has turned golden brown. Careful not to let them burn! Set aside to cool.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set up dredging station of flour, eggs and bread crumbs. Drip patties into flour first, then egg and lastly, panko. Place breaded croquettes onto lightly greased baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes in oven.
5. Combine ingredients for vinaigrette. Assemble salad and serve with croquettes.
However you do it, make it how you love it.
As always, I hope you enjoy!
Lots of LOVE,