Happy New Year!!!New year, new blog! Well, not exactly…it’s the same love and grubbin’ blog you know (and hopefully love) but it needed a little facelift. I’ve updated some new features including a more user-friendly way to find my recipes …it’s not perfect yet, but I’m excited to be moving on up! You may notice that some of my recipes are missing as well. When I first started blogging, my photo and recipe writing skills weren’t exactly up to par.
My hope is to update the recipes and images, so stay tuned for some oldies coming back!
In the mean time, let’s move on to the FIRST recipe from yours truly in 2016.
I’ve been making this cabbage salad (without the chickpeas) pretty much everyday for the last few months.
This is actually my mom’s go-to salad recipe and I loved it so much that I just started making it myself.
I dress it differently every time, sometimes olive oil and red wine vinegar, sometimes balsamic, depends on what I have on hand.
It’s colorful, full of flavor and has lots of different textures. The cabbage is crunchy, the bell peppers are nice and crisp, with a nice sweetness from the carrots. I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE cilantro which I think gives it a fresh boost. Steve actually feels the total opposite about cilantro, so he likes the salad just as much without.
I wanted to do something special for this recipe, so I tried adding roasted chickpeas as a crouton for the salad and it goes perfectly!
Chickpeas are a great source of fiber and protein! Toasty, spiced just right and another crunchy element.
I’ve tried making them several times, but found that the Lean Green Bean’s method for cooking them in the oven while it pre-heats and allowing them to stay in while the oven cools down is a perfect method! I’ve adjusted the temperature and timing slightly to how it worked best for me.
Let’s get cooking!
Cumin-Lime Cabbage Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
- 1/2 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 6 sprigs cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Cumin Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1&1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime (add more if you like more!)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch, salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp water
- Roasted Chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Step 1 Combine spices for roasted chickpeas into one small dish. Prepare chickpeas, making sure they have completely dried. You can use a paper towel to lightly dry them off.
- Step 2 Add olive oil and spice blend to chickpeas, incorporating it well. Place on a baking pan, with the chickpeas nice and spread out. At this time, turn the temperature of your oven to 400°. Place the chickpeas into the oven (yes, while it is preheating) and cook for 40 minutes.
- Step 3 During half way mark (at 20 minutes), give the chickpeas a little mix around. After 40 minutes has completed, turn off the oven, keeping the chickpeas in there for another 10-15 minutes.
- Step 4 During this time, prepare vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together with salad ingredients. Toss and adjust salt&pepper seasoning to your liking.
- Step 5 Once chickpeas have cooled, add to salad and enjoy!
There you have it!
Pretty simple, yet absolutely beautiful and tasty!
You can add other vegetables you like, maybe some cucumber or greens. However you do it, make it how you love it.
Hope you enjoy!
Lots of LOVE,