So excited to share this recipe with you today!
I’ve been in a cooking rut lately, so I started thinking about all the things I would eat growing up. I thought to myself, what did my mom cook for us when we were kids.
One thing that quickly came to mind were, kotleti…the Russian word for these meat patties!
When I first explained to Steve that I would be making meat patties, that weren’t exactly burgers, but kind of like a meatball but flatter…he was very confused. However, once I made them, we were both HOOKED.
These are easy, super flavorful and great to prep ahead for the week.
They are traditionally made with bread that is soaked in milk or water, and sometimes by dipping them in flour or breadcrumbs before frying. However, when I first made them, all I had was panko breadcrumbs so I soaked that, added it in and they turned out bomb dot com.
Since embracing intuitive eating (for my own life and for my practice as a dietitian) I’ve welcomed so many food groups that I once feared.
For example, old Eva would have never made a ground meat product with anything but 99% fat free. If I’m being honest, I don’t even really like 99% fat free ground meat. I do use it sometimes when I make meatloaf or meatballs but I will then usually have to grate zucchini in there to add some moisture, and if we are being honest, that takes time and sometimes, ain’t nobody got TIME.
If you like super lean meat or if you like adding that extra veggie step, that’s great! Sometimes I do too, but I have also come to realize that using a darker meat or higher fat content ground meat means having that little extra fat to help with texture, flavor and satiety!
I am just here to remind you that it’s okay to get whatever type of ground meat you want, or whatever you have available to you.
Also, I added in spinach because I had some leftover that I needed to use up and I thought it would add a nice color…and I was right!
Without further ado, I give you my kotleti recipe!
Ground Turkey Patties
Ground turkey patties seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper that are perfect to make ahead for the week!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk or water
- 1 egg
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Step 1 In a small dish, combine panko and milk or water. Set aside and let the panko absorb the liquid.
- Step 2 In a mixing bowl, combine turkey, egg, spinach, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix together, then add panko/liquid mixture and combine together.
- Step 3 Form small patties that are flattened and oval shaped. If you are having trouble forming them, wet your hands with a little water and that should help.
- Step 4 Heat a large pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Once olive oil warms up, add patties. Cook on each side 3-5 minutes, until patties are fully cooked through.
So delicious! You won’t be able to stop making them.
They are great with some mashed potatoes and veggies, or maybe some rice!
However you do it, make it how you love it!
As always, lots of LOVE,