Whoa. THIS recipe. You guys. THIS was SO good.
We are huge tikka masala fans but I always find that the pre-made sauces in the store aren’t as creamy as I like them to be. And I’ll be honest – I haven’t tried making a from-scratch tikka masala sauce yet, but I love a good shortcut and this one nails it.
All the products I used in this recipe were from Trader Joe’s but I have tried it with other brands as well. You may need to adjust spice to your liking but I think this combo is perfect place to start. The pre-made sauce is spiced just right and the coconut milk adds all the creamy flavor I love, without it tasting like actual coconut.
I decided to use a light coconut milk for this recipe because I didn’t want to overwhelm the sauce with coconut flavor and I wasn’t sure if full fat would be too creamy. So I started with the light and honestly, it just tasted so great. So if it ain’t broke, why fix it?
But, I want you to know that if all you have is full fat coconut milk, try it out! See if you like it! Maybe you’ll try it and find that it’s WAY better. Comment and tell me, and then I’ll try it too. Or maybe that’s all you have access to, so that is what you are going to use.
Use what tastes good to you and what makes you feel good, without judgement.
I used to feel a lot of judgement around adding fat into my food, coconut milk included. But I found that all that diet talk was just stopping me from truly enjoying the food I love. It’s okay to eat a creamy, high fat dish because its nourishing to the soul, and it’s also nourishing to your body. Your body needs fat, just as much as it needs carbs and protein. Okurrr?
Now, let’s get to this bomb dot com recipe!
Chickpea Cauliflower Tikka Masala
Delicious chickpea cauliflower tikka masala sauce, made with store bought tikka masala sauce and coconut milk. Easy way to make a super flavorful dish and can be customized to your preferences!
- 1.5 cups Tikka Masala sauce*
- 1 can light coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cauliflower, cut into florets
- *I used Trader Joe's Masala Simmer Sauce - but you can use whatever you have access to!*
- Step 1 Combine tikka masala sauce and coconut milk in large pan. Bring to boil and then add cauliflower florets.
- Step 2 Reduce heat to simmer and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Step 3 Add chickpeas and allow to cook for 10 additional minutes or until sauce has reduced/thickened.
- Step 4 Optional step: Once all has cooked, add splash of heavy cream or half and half.
There you have it! If you want to make this a non-vegetarian dish, cook your protein first and then add in the sauce. Or, you can take leftover chicken or turkey and add it in after!
Let me know if you try it in the comments and what you decided to use!
This is one of my favorite recipes ever and I know you’ll think the same! However you do it, make it how you love it.
Lots of LOVE,